Contact our team for more information.
Here in Sydney and right across Australia, despite the best efforts to raise awareness of issues such as climate change, we are becoming more wasteful. Businesses and individuals are producing more waste than ever before and our rate of rubbish production is growing faster than our population. Today, Australians produce over 50 million tonnes of waste per year, that’s more than 2 tonnes per person on average!
Disposing of this waste in Sydney’s landfills has a high cost for us as a society. These include pollution and gas emissions along with increased infrastructure expenses and expenses associated with the need to find replacement resources, and fast. By simply increasing recycling rates and reducing waste overall, Australians can save money and conserve natural resources while having a beneficial impact on the environment.
However, another option to reduce the amount of waste which goes to landfills is turning this waste into fuel. Here at Doyle Bros, this is an initiative we are very passionate about and something we have been doing for a number of years. Back in 2015, we were pleased to be awarded a grant from the NSW EPA trust as part of the ‘Waste Less, Recycle More’ initiative which was run by the NSW Government. With this grant, we upgraded our material recycling facility (MRF) here in Sydney to put in place processes which allow us to recycle and reuse over 90% of all waste material which we collect from our Sydney clients, both commercial and residential. With the remaining 10% which would previously have gone to landfill, we started the process of producing PEF (Processed Engineered Fuel).
So, what are the benefits of this? There are two core benefits of creating PEF from waste material which would otherwise go to landfill:
- Replacement for fossil fuels: Fossil fuels such as coal, oil and natural gas are non-renewable energy sources which have formed from decaying plant and animal matter over millions of years. When fossil fuels are burnt they emit too much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere which causes climate change and rising global temperatures.
- Reduction in harmful landfill emissions: Landfill waste produces potent gases made up of methane and carbon dioxide. These gases have a severely detrimental effect on the environment and heavily promote climate change. Methane is the worst offender as it is considered about 25 times as harmful as carbon dioxide. On top of this, landfill gases can cause localised explosions and other hazards.
Here at Doyle Bros, we are a waste disposal company who cares deeply about the environment, and the work we do is all about limiting the negative impact waste disposal has on our planet. If you run a business in Sydney and would like to discuss environmentally-friendly commercial waste disposal options, please give us a call today for a no-obligation quote for your individual needs!